Birthday parties, picnics, ziploc bags on a hike all had one thing in common in the 1990's: Puppy Chow (or Muddy Buddies). This delicious mix is made from cereal, peanut butter, chocolate and powdered sugar. It is fun and easy for kids to make (it involved shaking a large plastic bag for the easily entertained)! So simple, easy and cheap.... but a flavor combination to die for.
Everyone in my dorm was craving puppy chow and my lovely room-mates bought me some Krispix to make some for a late night snack. It went fast. Hands were diving. It was madness.
Puppy Chow aka Muddy Buddies
Yields: 18 cups
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes!
- 1 box Krispix Cereal
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Melt chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter together in microwave
- Add vanilla extract and stir until smooth
- Empty cereal into a large plastic zip bag
- Add chocolate mixture and shake until completely coated
- Add powdered sugar and shake until coated
- Empty onto a sheet tray to cool
- Serve in a large bowl